Thursday, November 1, 2007

summer has come and passed

I can't believe it's November already. Why does summer always go by so fast? And why do I always feel like I didn't take advantage of it and enjoy it enough while it was here? Every year I say that I'm going to get out more and do more "summery" things, and every fall I feel sad because I didn't. How do I change that? Sure, next summer will come, and I'll probably say the same thing again, but I don't want to go through my entire life always feeling like I missed out on summer. lol.

My new job is.... interesting. I've had two shifts at the Caffe Mondo, and it's not perfect, but I am enjoying most of the job. They don't give breaks though. I'm not too impressed with that. My next shift I am going to straight out ask for one and say that I need my break. I worked 7 1/2 hours on Tuesday with no breaks - on my feet the whole time. Not good. Other than that, though, the job itself is alright. The other people who work there seem to be pretty cool - although the woman who was training me on Tuesday would drive me crazy if I had to work with her a lot. She's one of those who repeats things and explains everything, even the obvious, to the point that it's just too much talking. People like that drive me crazy... Thankfully, I probably won't be working with her too much. She's a nice enough woman, just a bit tedious to train with.

I have a new website client as well. A guy from Texas who found Spideys Web Design on Facebook. That was pretty cool. I did a facebook for my business because the guy who did the workshop I went to a couple months ago suggested that as one of the marketing tips. So it was pretty exciting to see that I actually got some business from it! Nice to have another paying client. Now if I could just figure out how to market properly and get steady new clients, so that I can do this full time. I really only need 4 new clients a month to be able to pay my bills. Then if I had steady clients who had regular updates for me to do that would make it even better! When I stop and look at it that way, it sounds so much easier. Four new clients a month - that shouldn't be that hard, if I can market well. It's the marketing that overwhelms me. lol.

I've learned a lot during this job hunting season. I feel much more confident in interviews, and have learned to write a better cover letter. Jon has been a big help, with critiquing my cover letter and resume. I had a group interview at The Body Shop on the weekend that was really challenging and good for me, as they had us demonstrate sales skills by role playing a couple of different situations. In one we had to demo a product with a partner from the group, in the other we were giving a scenario to role play - with one person being the customer and one being the sales agent. Was very challenging for me, but I actually did pretty good, and felt good about having to put myself out there and do something that stretched my comfort zone. And they liked me too. They called me for a second interview. I wasn't able to go, as I had another interview already scheduled for the time they wanted me to come in, but it's all good anyway. The Body Shop job doesn't pay very well - though the discount would be nice. Oh well...

No comments: