Thursday, November 20, 2008

handmade christmas

I didn't get excited about christmas last year. It was the first year I couldn't go home for it, and Jon had his kids, so I spent christmas morning by myself. That was the hardest part. I had dinner with Jon later in the day, and we exchanged gifts. It was enjoyable, but it just wasn't christmas without the christmas morning stockings and special breakfast. So this year I was thinking maybe I'll let myself get excited about it - and tug Jon along with me. It would be fun to start some of our own christmas traditions.

I remember when I was a kid how my parents made a lot of our gifts. I remember wood letters on wheels - our initials. Little wooden boxes with red velvet lining for our hair clips, and handmade scrunchies in various colors and patterns. One year it was slippers - moccasin style.

I remember the years when the extended family made stuff. We'd all get together at Grandma's house for christmas, all the aunts, uncles and cousins. Each family would have made a christmas tree ornament - and brought enough for every family to have one. We'd go home with a handful of handmade decorations. There was some pretty sweet shit made! I remember a walnut shell cradle with an acorn mouse in it, or a Round-to-it - made with a red wooden circle hung on a grey pipe cleaner and labeled (so you couldn't use the excuse that you didn't get around to it).

Christmas in those days was much simpler - and FAR more exciting! It reminds me of Little House on the Prairie where they got a stick of candy, a penny and a tin cup - and were thrilled to get it! Try giving that to your kid now - you'd be stoned! ;) The season has become much too commercialized now. Instead of spending wonderful hours making individual gifts for our loved ones, we join the mad throng of shoppers, buying gifts that a good percentage won't even be enjoyed or needed. You hear people talking about "what they want for christmas" or "what they think they're getting for christmas", and it has become all about buying "stuff".

So I am contemplating going back to my roots and going handmade this christmas. At least the majority of it. The funny thing is, I did some cleaning a couple months ago and got rid of a whole wack of stuff, including my crafting supplies, the little that I had, at least. Now I am kicking myself - but who knew I would actually decide to use it so soon? It did feel good to de-junk and de-clutter - and come to think of it, it's pretty easy to hit the dollar store and get a handful of supplies for whatever I decide to do this year. The moral of the story? I still think it's better to be quick to get rid of stuff than to hold on to it forever just because you might want it or use it someday. The someday doesn't come as often as we think it might...

No comments: