Sunday, April 6, 2008

happy springtime!

Well folks, it looks like Old Man Winter has indeed left us for another season. I thought he would never go! Seriously, it was the longest winter that I remember. It felt like it was never going to get warm again! But finally, the chill is leaving the air. Yesterday was sunny and felt very springy. Today looks as though it is going to be the same. Yes, I am happy. Perhaps I can now get thawed out... I realized yesterday though, when I put on a short skirt for the first time since last fall, that I should be hitting the gym harder, as I want to have a nice shapely body for the tops and skirts and bikinis that come with summer. I wouldn't mind to get a nice tan this year too. And thank goodness I am setting my own schedule now - perhaps I will actually be able to take advantage of summer this year! Last year I was stuck in the call centre job and it was very difficult to do much of anything because of my schedule and whatnot. Hopefully this year I can be more flexible and able to get out and enjoy it more!

Business is going well. There is sure a lot to do to start up! I have completed one week of classes, and am really enjoying it and learning a lot! The others in the program are pretty cool too. It's neat to hear about everyone's businesses and get to know them a bit. My biggest challenge so far is trying to get insurance. I'm required to have it for the program I'm in, and I've been calling around and trying to get a quote and everyone says they cannot offer any kind of policy to someone living in a rooming house situation - which is basically what I'm in. So, it looks like I'm going to have to pretend to be living in an apartment to get any kind of damn insurance! Talk about frusterating! So I guess tomorrow I'll do some more calling around and see what I can find for that. I did finally manage to get an appointment set up to open a business bank account. I was going to go with Scotia bank, because that's who I've been dealing with for my personal banking, but I called them to set up an appointment, was told that the small business manager would call me back to set up an appointment, and I never heard from the guy. So, I took my business somewhere else! I'll go where I'm going to get good service, thank you very much! Called BMO to ask about setting up an account, had to leave a voice message, but they called me back right away and were to friendly and helpful! It was like a difference between night and day! So guess who gets my business? I may even switch my personal banking over to them.

The other pieces I have to get together this week are my standard forms - receipt, invoice, contracts, etc - and a mission statement. Fun stuff! I do like seeing my business name on things. It looks pretty neat... Thursday I have an appointment with the graphic designer to get a logo and business cards drawn up. Very exciting!

So things are coming together, and the next few months should be very interesting. With the self employment benefits I will be getting I'll be able to have a car probably by the end of April or shortly thereafter, and planning to be in my own apartment a couple months after that. Finally, I'll be out of the crowded little room I'm living in and have my own wheels again! That will be delightful! It feels like the pieces are all falling into place for me finally. And it feels damn good!

For those of you interested, watch for a new issue of ADVANTAGE Tips for Small Business Owners which will be sent out soon... If you are not subscribed, visit my website or drop me an email to subscribe...

No comments: