Thursday, April 17, 2008

road rage

As a frequent cycler, I am often amazed at how irresponsible and just plain inconsiderate people are. They pay attention to other traffic and pedestrians better than they do to bikers. We seem to fit somewhere in between regular car traffic and those on foot, but somehow we get overlooked a lot of times. I notice it especially when going to cross an intersecting street. People will pull up to the stop sign or stop light and will pull up so far that you cannot bike around them, or you have to bike around the back. They'll sit there, wanting to make a right hand turn, and will be watching the traffic coming from the left, and don't look to the right, so don't see you coming and then start to pull out without looking back to the right. It drives me crazy! THEY have the stop sign, I don't. If it was another car, they would be more likely to notice and wait - but they seem to underestimate us bikers. I see it over and over and over again, and it annoys me more and more each time. When I was first driving and taking my road exam, I was told to look both ways when you go to make a right turn to watch for bikers. But apparently most people do not know this. Luckily I am attentive and keep my hand on the brake, ready to stop short if they start to pull out in front of me, but sheesh, why are drivers so inconsiderate and unaware?

In business news, I have a week of classes left - then I can do the stuff full time. I am looking forward to that! I've enjoyed the classes, learned a lot and really enjoyed getting to know the others in the program, but I am looking forward to having the whole day to make sales, build websites, start learning more skills to be able to offer, and get myself more organized. So very much work goes into starting a new business! I'm seeing areas that I want to learn and expand into as well, like graphic design and search engine optimization. I would love to be able to promise a client to get their website on the first page of google results for their search term. But that's not easy! Especially with so many others trying to get the same result. But to be able to learn how to do that, practice it and get results and then be able to deliver on that to clients would be a huge advantage - and I'm all about the ADVANTAGE!

I am enjoying spring. I've been biking to class every day - about a 20 minute ride - and it's been getting nicer and nicer every day. So pleasant to be able to enjoy the bike ride instead of freezing and just wanting to get there! And when you actually enjoy the ride itself, it goes by quicker, seems to take less time. So yes, I am thoroughly enjoying spring and the warmer weather! The motor bikes up and down main street are a bit annoying when you're trying to sit and have a nice relaxed time at the coffee shop. lol.

I got my business card to the printer today, so sometime in the next week I will have business cards! I'm pretty pumped about it. They are nice too. Classy, professional and unique. Definitely something I can be proud of! Will be nice to be able to hand over a business card when people ask, instead of saying, "No, I don't have them done up yet." I am planning to get shirts done too, with my logo and everything. Then when I go to networking events and such I will be a walking advertisement! How sweet is that? (Yes, I know, it's pretty damn sweet...)

Still working on my "bikini body", as I like to call it, and enjoying the results! I enjoy working out, pushing myself and seeing what I can do, and then feeling my muscles get tighter, harder and a bit bigger. And I feel pretty good about having stuck with it this long.

Well, that's all for now. Fare well, dear readers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your business card. Bet they look even better in real life! I love them... Graphic design sounds fun, plus very rewarding for your business... This business is going to go places!!! I'm a fan :)