Monday, September 15, 2008

day from hell

First off I want to write a bit of a "disclaimer". I fully realize that much of what I write in this blog may be offensive to some of my readers. One comment after my last post made me realize just how many toes I may be stepping on. So I want to say, what I write here is in no way a personal jab at anyone. I am not trying to pick on anyone, or point at anyone. If what I say strikes you as being very personal (toward you) then please, take it to heart and see what you can learn from it (as we should with anything that strikes close to us), and if not, then please just brush it off. I am not talking about you.

That being said, on to the meat and potatoes.

Today was a bit of a day from hell. It was a Monday. And not only was it a Monday, it was a Monday after a hell of a weekend. Whew! Let's just say, I'm glad this Monday is almost over!!!!!!

I had my six month review for the self employment assistance program. I really really appreciate the financial support this program has provided me with, and I have learned a lot through their training as well, but there is a price to be paid for it!!! My six month review entailed the program director coming out to my place of business (my home office), going over my books and then deciding whether or not I get an extension. Oh boy. Oy boh. I'll sum it up. Don't want to drag you through the excruciating process... I got a 6 week extension. But I had to speak up for it. She wasn't going to give it to me, based on the "numbers" in my books. But then I pointed out that the last month, and this month, are looking much better, and she very reluctantly decided to give me an extension.

Now, I'm not one to sneeze at free money, but part of me was oh so tempted to say, "You know what? If you are that unsure about giving me an extension, then please don't bother!" I know I can make it on my own, and part of me is chafing at "sucking up" to the program director to get more free money. To be honest, I doubt I will be in the web design business for too much longer - I have my sights set on other things - and so at times I am unsure if it is even wise to continue in this vein. But experience breeds wisdom, and wisdom is as good as gold. I figure if I can make this business work for me in a year, then I will have that much more experience (and wisdom?) under my belt for my future endeavors! And so I stick with it. Not only that, but the process of building a business also increases your network. I have encountered people that I wouldn't have met otherwise - and am certainly much richer for it!

The rest of the day from hell was on the phone. I needed to call one of my student loans accounts to arrange a payment plan so I can get that all paid off, and I'm working through a credit counselor, so I can make all my payments in one shot. Oye. I had to call each place at least twice, because they kept saying, "oh, we don't do that, they are supposed to do [insert action here]." I hung up on one woman who was going on and on and wasn't listening to me. Felt a bit bad, but hey, she was probably glad the call was cut short! (I've worked at a call centre, I know I would've been! lol) I was getting so very very frusterated, particularly after what the rest of the day was like, and then I got a very nice gal on the phone at the credit counselors. Thank goodness! She understood what I was trying to do, spoke good english, and was very nice to talk to. I was able to get the matter taken care of! :D It certainly could have been worse!

So maybe it asn't quite a day from hell. In fact, it is now almost 7:30pm, the day is almost over, and looking back, it wasn't that bad. I stood up for myself with the program director - something I normally wouldn't do - and I managed to deal with call centre operators AND get my objective for the call done. The emotional stuff I was dealing with right off the bat this morning wasn't all that bad, and even though I felt discouraged during a good part of the day, I know in the end it's all going to be alright. Tomorrow is another day - a better one, I'm sure! - and we all have crappy days, after all. ;)

So I am moving up and moving on!!!! Yes, still on my quest to enlightened millionairedom, and more than ever determined to make my dreams come true - and those of others. Life is an adventure, after all. You never know what tomorrow will hold. Who will you meet? What opportunity will come your way? What new thing will you learn? Don't miss out on it, okay? Take that chance, that risk, and watch your life chance and blossom right in front of your eyes!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....again, sorry monday was such a bad one for ya!!!
You've gotten me intrigued, once again, by stating you won't be in the web design biz much longer.
What have you on the agenda? I'm so curious!!! :)

Teh Jess said...

Thanks for the comment, Angie! ;) As for what I have on the agenda, some various online projects of my own! Such as the site I shared with you already... hehehe.