Tuesday, January 13, 2009

the lure of sleep

How does one resist the lure of sleep? This is something I am struggling to figure out. It doesn't matter what time I get to bed, or how much sleep I get during the night, it is still painful to get myself up at a decent hour! I want to be up at 6am every morning - at least during the week - but when 6am rolls around, that desire is completely gone. I could force myself to get up, but why bother? It's too painful.

Do I need to have something exciting to get up for? I wonder if that would help... Is the problem that I'm not sleep well enough at night so I'm not actually well-rested? I could believe this one, because I toss and turn so much, and rarely feel like I sleep soundly - but it's not like I have a hard time staying away during the day either.

It's a puzzle for me. I determine to start getting up earlier, and I might manage it for one day, but I soon slip back to 7:30, 8, 8:30, etc. I know, I know, it's not all that late, but it bugs me. It feels late to me.

I always feel better during the day when I get up earlier. I feel like I accomplish more, have a better attitude, and by evening I am well-tired and ready for bed. It's a good feeling! But that getting up part is frickin hard. I want to know why!

What is it about being unconscious - sleep - that is so damn appealing? Why do I prefer to lay there, not doing anything, often experiencing weird or disturbing dreams, than to get up and experience real life? Is it a tiredness or rest issue, or is it something psychological, something in my subconscious brain?

Perhaps I need a reason to get up. It's not often that I actually have something to look forward to for that day. Maybe I need to find something that I really enjoy that I can do first thing in the morning, something that I can look forward to and really want to get up for. But I'm not sure what that would be! What can I get that excited about that it will literally drag me away from the comfort of my bed? I need to figure this out...

Jon gets up to go to the gym, and I admire him for that. Working out isn't something I enjoy enough to get me out of bed though. It needs to be something that I just can't wait to do, that I am so passionate about, and enjoy so much, that the first thought on my mind when I wake up is, "Oh boy, I get to [insert exciting thing here]!"

And so I am on the hunt for a passion, an exciting hobby, to get me out of bed in the morning...

No comments: