Tuesday, October 28, 2008

bareback and barefoot

It's been far too long since I went horseback riding - but it's like riding a bike: it doesn't matter how long it's been, you get back on and it's natural, feels like it hasn't been very long. I could do it with my eyes closed - it feels like home!

It was rather nice to get back on my beautiful Bonnie. I love that horse. And I've missed riding her. Sigh. There's something about the feel of a warm horse, and the smooth motion of a nice trot or lope.

It took me back to the days when we used to go riding all the time. It was our life! Dixie and I would go even when it was freezing cold out - we'd bundle up, and maybe wouldn't go for as long as we normally would, but we'd still be out there! When we lived in Kitwanga, we lived right by a river, and we'd go and ride up the river, or across to the field on the other side. There were all kinds of places to ride around there!

My teenage years were spent on the back of a horse. We had crushes on local guys that we'd see when we were out riding - we'd watch for them to drive by. Typical teenage crushes. We'd ride into town to the store, or the post office. We were almost a part of the scenery, and well-known by the locals. The Webb kids, or the Dixie-Chicks as we were later nicknamed.

There is something so relaxing and peaceful about seeing the world from the back of a horse. No stress, no worries about work or business, no need to even think about any of that stuff. It's just you, and the horse. I've always been a fan of bareback riding too (no saddle), and have seen my share of messy jeans. The best is during the summer, on a warm sunny day, when you can leave the shoes as well! Barefoot and bareback - ahhh, the simple pleasures of summer!

It's been very nice to get back to a simple, laidback lifestyle, even if just for a week. Makes me more determined to get my life more simplified, and get out of the city. There's a lot to be said for fresh air! I can't get over how very good it is to breath in the smell of forest and farm again!

2 comments:

RON LAWRENCE said...

Jess.... glad you got a chance to ride horse and fly a plane and field questions..... love,Ron

Teh Jess said...

Thanks Ron! :)