Tuesday, October 7, 2008

no need to apologize

I see a common thread in conversations and in relating to people. Everyone apologizes - and most of the time when they shouldn't! I am not excluding myself in this either. I catch myself saying sorry when it is something I should not be apologizing for. In essence, we often apologize for who we are, or for being ourselves. Anyone else have a problem with this?

I apologize if I'm in someone's way - even when I have as much right to be there as they do. I apologize for things I say, when I'm speaking honestly and saying what I really think. I apologize for the way I feel sometimes. What is wrong with this picture?

Frankly, I often say I'm sorry because I don't know what else to say. It just pops out, because I'm so used to saying it, and I don't stop and think about another answer. A clear-cut case of not thinking before I speak! But it's something I want to change. I want to learn to think more before I speak, and to be so confident in who I am that I feel no need to apologize for it!

1 comment:

Miss.Courty said...

Oh I can relate to this, a lot.
I see it as well. I didn't exactly realize how much I apologize for practically everything. I even apologize to you often, and it's not even needed.

I do see it. And it's not right. Why are we so used to apologizing for who we are? We aren't doing anything wrong. It just comes naturally. It shouldn't be that way.

I never thought of this until reading your post. It really makes me wonder why we do it so often; especially when it's not needed in any way.
Shouldn't we be proud of who we are? We shouldn't be apologizing for being ourselves or speaking our minds and opinions.