Saturday, January 19, 2008

view from my window

One of the things I like to do while sitting at my favorite coffee shop is to people watch. I sit near the window and watch the people going by on the sidewalk, or the ones coming and going in the shop. People facinate me - and annoy me - and entertain me. I don't have any patience for stupid or annoying people, but I do enjoy observing and analyzing. And sometimes you see those people that just strike you as exceptional people - and they're the most interesting to watch. The ones that strike me are the ones that stand out from the crowd, they have this air about them that says they are confident and unique, that they don't walk the beaten path, but make one of their own. I like to think that I am one of those people as well.

I saw a unique bus driver this morning. I caught the bus to an appointment with a new client, and the driver was this blond chic. She looked like a bit of a ditzy blond, with a funky hair cut, and a voice to match it - the typical blond chic voice. But she was the friendliest bus driver I've seen yet, greeting everyone as they came on, saying goodbye when they got off, just really friendly and personable. A unique person, alright. Made the bus ride more interesting.

It's interesting to think that each person sees things differently. The way I see and observe things is not the same as the way you see them, or anyone else for that matter. The view from my window is completely unique. We all see the same things, but we don't "see" them the same, we don't comprehend them the same or draw the same conclusions. Your impression of that bus driver would probably be different from mine. It's a bit lonely, actually, to think that no one else feels exactly the same way that I do or sees things exactly the same way. I don't want to be exactly like someone else, but at the same time, it's lonely to be totally unique, and to realize that I am completely individual, completely my own person, completely me. That also means that ultimately I am responsible - for my life, my decisions, my attitudes. No one else can dictate my life or direct it. I am fully and completely responsible for what I do, where I go, and who I am. I can be and do anything I want - I have the power to shape my life to be what I want it to be. What am I doing with that power???

No comments: