Thursday, March 27, 2008

self employment, here i come!!!

I got the phone call this afternoon: my business plan was accepted into the Self Employment Assistance Program. The only condition is that by the end of the first three months I must meet or exceed my projections put forth in the business plan - which I should be doing anyway! The benefits of the program include a month of morning classes where we will be taught accounting, marketing, legal matters and other vital business knowledge, weekly benefits paid to us so we can devote our time to our businesses and still pay the bills (as it will be slow at first), a graphic designer who will help us design logos, stationary and other such materials, one-on-one coaching with professionals, such as the ones teaching the classes, who are also in business themselves and can show us the ropes. Basically, I am being handed everything I could possibly need to succeed in business - all I have to bring is the motivation and willingness to put it all into action!

It has been my dream to work for myself for years - and to see it coming true is incredibly exciting! I have a chance to make my dreams a reality and prove that my business idea is viable and sustainable and I can succeed at it. Talk about a great challenge! I am definitely embarking on another adventure. I have been doing dabbling in this web design thing for a while, but I'm entering a whole new arena now. I am leaving the field of the employed and "jobbed" and venturing into the realm of the self employed and creating a job that I enjoy! Yes, folks, I will be my own boss, set my own hours, and be able to work from pretty much wherever in the world I want!

Advantage Website Solutions is the name I've chosen, and I now get to re-do my website and launch the first issue of Advantage Tips for Small Business Owners, the newsletter that I actually started under Spideys Web Design but now gets to undergo the same overhaul as the rest of Spideys. I did enjoy that name, but realize it is time for not only a new name, but a new way of doing things and looking at things - as I am now going full time and making this more than just a part time hobby. So goodbye Spideys, and hello Advantage!!! The future looks bright - did you bring your sunglasses?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just realized I could add a comment here. I'm sooo happy for you. Boy the resouces you are getting will be so helpful. The only assistance we had was an EI cheque for the first year. What a blessing!!!

Looking forward to the newsletter and webpage. :)